Monday, April 22, 2013

Diet Coke--less...It has been a year!

A year ago life as I knew it changed..yep changed...the first being that I cold turkey quit Diet Coke..well I guess that wasn't the first thing that happened...

A year ago this past week I was at a physical therapy appointment.  At this appointment I had asked my therapist if he knew of any personal trainers... the rest is history...

I met with the trainer he recommended on a Saturday morning (April 21) It was an interesting meeting where I was asked what my goals would be...huh?  What?  To lose weight, duh!  But as I was soon to learn that wasn't clear enough...

The next day...Sunday...I drank my last Diet Coke...yep the last one...I was walking into Sunday School toting my last Diet Coke...at the time I didn't realize that it was going to be my last one but it was...

Later in the day I was thinking about my first session of training...scared to death...like sick to my stomach scared...and it was then that I decided that "IT" was going to be an all or nothing deal...I was going to cut out all the "bad" in my life to make "THIS" work...So I decided that come Monday morning I was NOT going to drink a Diet COKE on my way to work or at all...NOW..anyone that knows me...knows that I went to MCDONALDS every single solitary day to buy a LARGE Diet Coke..and that it didn't stop there...usually 2-3 cans more...So you can imagine how distraught my mind and body was that Monday!

I made it through the day, went home, and finally told my family that I was going to a training session.  My first one was like at 4pm.  So...off I went...

This was on April 23rd...

Like I stated above I was scared but maybe intimidated is a better word.  What was I thinking? Well whatever it was ended up being okay because I haven't looked back since.

Here are some memories ...I remember not knowing how to do anything Chris was asking me to do...lunges...ball curls etc....I did recognize things like crunches and push ups...oh and you know those big ole fireman ropes?  Eh...nasty!

I remember coming home after the first many sessions and passing out on the couch literally not being able to move!  I remember being so sick the first the second week but didn't let it stop me....I mean I was barely able to talk...

I remember when something clicked and I started thinking about changing some of my eating habits...I think it was eating yogurt and protein shakes....still two of my favorite things..

I remember when I got on the scale and weighing more...thought I was going to die!  But I also remember when I lost that first 5...I was jumping for joy inside and out!  I also remember Chris handing me the 5 pound weight so I could actually feel what I lost!

I remember the time going on and my students seeing changes.. They were so sweet. I remember clearing out all the junk food in my desk and giving it to them!

I remember and still have this big bad ugly blister from walking ...and having to switch to biking because of it..

I remember once school was over and training in the morning and feeling super energized on those days.

I remember going to the Farmers Market and really getting excited about all the new foods I wanted to try...

Slowly my life was changing ...

Other memories include Boot Camp and Ultimate Frisbee and shopping for summer clothes sizes smaller ...my family noticing...restructuring my life...

My trip to NYC....only willing to stay at hotels that had fitness rooms and hot yoga...

I remember sending Laura off to AZ and her coming home shocked at how I was changing...

Going to the State Fair and sharing some old favorites and searching out healthier options...

And then going back to work and seeing the reactions of my co-workers...

I could go on and on...and as I write this I remember more things...this has truly been a journey that has changed me inside and out...

Tomorrow ....more reflections!


No comments:

Post a Comment