Wednesday, January 16, 2013

All Around Me...

All around me people are working on their fitness.  They are doing so many different things.  I often sit and wonder what their motivation is for choosing what they do and how they do it.  I do, of course, have opinions, but also know that my opinions are just my opinions.  

YOGA:  Up until I tried Bikram and then Moksha Yoga I never considered it a fitness concept...to be truthful I thought of it as a way to relax...boy am I wrong.  Hot house yoga is the only type I have tried and man...are those tough..you sweat and get a cardio workout and stretching...I really like yoga and need to figure out a way to work into my new lifestyle.  

Health Clubs:  I am up in the air how I feel about health clubs.  I think they are awesome and great and EXPENSIVE.  I  think the fact that they are convenient and seem to appear on many corners in many areas is a plus but also a downfall.  They make it easy to sign up but so many people sign up ...start going and then quit!  I also never can remember how to use the machines and it seems there are never anyone around that know either.  

Slim Genics, Medifast, Jenny Craig etc :  These places are so intriguing to me.  I am always impressed by the commercials.  I also wonder if there is a gimmick...what are they REALLY selling me and is it really healthy.  I struggle taking vitamins so I don't think I would be successful with this type of program.  I have had some friends that have been successful and thrive on the counseling part.  Oh and I am such a picky eater...you know...that texture thing!  

DVDS: oy!  Don't get me started...I get so intimidated by Jillian and other similar people...they sound so pompous and degrading...  I think, again, they work for some people...but I feel silly doing them!  I did Jillian's 30 Day Shred...and it was good..I don't think I lost any weight nor did I do anything after the 30 days...not a fan! 

Personal Trainers:  EXPENSIVE most of the time.  Intense some of the time.  I think you have to be comfortable enough with yourself to be successful with this type of plan.  You also have to be able to trust that the trainer is not leading you down the wrong path and that they are invested in your well being.  

And then there are all the equipment needed type of programs...kettle bells, stability balls, weights etc...You really have to be a self motivated person 

It is really cool all the choices that are out there and I think it is honorable when people give things a try...I feel that your physical fitness is perhaps the most important thing you can improve upon.  

I say go for it and stick with it!  

2 comments:

  1. The club I joined is having a deal, I got a really good price, and a discount for being a public school worker/retiree... and after I complete a certain amount of time, the price is guaranteed for life. Plus, if I go regularly, my insurance will reimburse some of the cost. so it ends up not being expensive. Now... "if I go regularly" is going to be my challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe, "working out" works best when a person combines a spiritual and mental side to the physical. Perhaps even social for some. Yoga most definitely does this. Team sports and goal driven activities are also great motivators. Purpose driven activities. A personal trainer or a workout buddy can help hold you accountable. Some people need to be motivated thru guidance and accountability, this can be done through Jenny Craig type programs, friends or trainers. Also these things help educate. Proper technique and nutrition can be intimidating. DVDs are helpful in private instruction. Many people feel embarrassed and vulnerable when it comes to exercising. Purchased equipment can be used in private and is convenient, especially for people with limited time. Many gyms are quite affordable, as low as ten dollars a month. They offer variety and socializing . Plus pools, hottubs, saunas, racquetball, basketball...Also group classes...Zumba, step aerobics, spinning, yoga...

    ReplyDelete